Pub Walks In Tameside – Hare & Hounds, Junction Inn.
Pub walks in Tameside includes a visit to the Hare and Hounds on Luzley Road then within a short distance the Junction Inn at the corner of Mossley Road and Gorsey Lane, Ashton-under-Lyne.
Starting at Greenhurst Road, off Lees Road, Ashton-under-Lyne, the route goes past the Knott Hill Nature Reserve then up to Hartshead Pike. From Hartshead Pike there are great views of Tameside and Manchester. On a clear day the Jodrell Bank Observatory and the Welsh hills can be seen.
Hartshead Pike, is the name of the hill not the tower, and was used before the Romans arrived in Britain. The tower is a grade 2 listed building and is Tameside’s most prominent landmark at 290 metres/951 ft above sea level. Hartshead Pike was originally the site of a beacon just 70 metres north of the present tower. It dates from the 17th century and the original tower was rebuilt in 1751. Lightning badly damaged the structure and all that remained was a ring of stone, this can still be seen today.
The present tower was built in 1863 and was once used as a small cafe, run by the owner of the Colliers Arms, a public house near Broadcarr Lane, which is now a private residence. The stone lintel over the properties door is inscribed ‘The Old Colliers’.
From Hartshead Pike the route goes down Broadcarr Lane and across to Luzley Road. The Hare and Hounds, the first stop of this pub walks in Tameside, is an inn dating back to 1755 and was then called the King George. It has had several names since then, King’s Head, Wagon Inn, Hare and Hounds in 1810, then the Hunter’s Tavern. It reverted to the Hare and Hounds in 1871 and has kept the name ever since.
From the Hare and Hounds it’s a 10 minute walk down Luzley Road to the Junction Inn, a Robinsons Brewery tied house. A short walk along Gorsey Lane, over the golf course and along the Knott Hill Nature Reserve and this first of the pub walks in Tameside is complete.