Tameside Country Walk – Park Bridge, Daisy Nook Circular
This Tameside country walk starts at the old industrial area of Park Bridge in the Medlock Valley. This was the site of the former Park Bridge Ironworks. The business was founded by Samuel Lees in 1786 and continued until 1963, still under the control of the same family. They produced rivets that were used in the construction of both the Eiffel Tower and the doomed Titanic.
The Lees family built houses, a school, a church and an institute for their workers, most which can still be seen today.
The site is now known as the Park Bridge Heritage Centre and is well worth a visit. From Park Bridge this Tameside country walk starts along the old railway track. It then goes back down to the site of the former Bright Shop then along Wagon Road as far as Fenny Field Bridge. The path reaches the Hollinwood Branch Canal, now a popular place for anglers and follows it to Sammy’s Basin. It then goes downhill past the ‘staircase locks’ to the Waterhouses Aqueduct.
From here it’s up the steps on the left and along the top of the Medlock Valley to cross the busy Oldham Road. Passing through Limehurst Farm the old railway track is again soon reached. This is now part of the National Cycle Network Route 66 and runs from Ashton-under-Lyne to Oldham. A left turn here takes us along the raised track to Alt Hill Lane, where a right turn and then shorly afterwards a left turn takes us over fields and back to the starting point at the Park Bridge Heritage Centre.
This Tameside country walk is mainly flat with a little climbing. The walk distance is 4.6 miles and takes around 1 hour 40 minutes. Full route finding and mapping details are available in Walks In Tameside Volume 1 – Northern Tameside.